Friday, December 2, 2011

My watch section

So I can't go much further in my blog without talking about my watch section. They make up the majority of the people I know on this island so far, and while they laugh relentlessly as me, they have also been a huge source of help.

It's warmed up here the past few days - to 40 whole degrees.  I never thought I would call 40 degrees warm, but there you have it.  Tuesday night though, it got warm, then got below freezing.  Remember that whole car getting stuck thing?  Well, I saw it happening again as the time came to leave work.  But I severely underestimated the amount of completely solid ice there was outside.

I just needed to get rid of my car and use ice skates.  It was icy like that.  And I had to drive home.  I was a bit nervous, but my supervisor was nice enough to agree to follow me home.  Because, well, I have decided I don't want to die and get eaten by bears.  Too much stuff to do.

But first I had to get to my car.  One of my shipmates told me she likes to pretend she's ice skating.  That was actually somewhat helpful.  So instead of the teeny tiny baby steps I had been taking, I was trying, not so gracefully, to glide across the ice.  Another shipmate pointed out it was easier to walk in the snow.  I had figured that out already, but there was no snow in front of me.  What awful time to give that advice.  And of course, my entire section was laughing behind me.  Assholes.

So after skating all the way to my car in my uniform and boots, I got to my car without falling.  I even got home safe and sound without the slightest bit of sliding on the ice.  I even had a shipmate from the section make sure I made it inside.  As I tried to step up on the curb without busting my face open, I hear this snickering.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to laugh.  But you look like a penguin."

...................

Go ahead, let that imagine sink in.  It's like a cross between an actual penguin in blue clothes and Bert dancing in Mary Poppins.



I have decided that it can mean only one thing: I have adapted.  I am now a cold-weather bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment