Thursday, December 15, 2011

Things I have learned about Kodiak

Since living in Kodiak, I have learned a lot about it's people.

Sweatpants and Xtra-Tufs are Kodiak chic. 
Cute on your kid, not on some salty old fisherman with holes in the crotch of his sweatpants. I could not find a picture, but I wouldn't want to permanently scar you anyway.  (Also, why is this kid holding a very large bottle of wine?)


What I (regretfully) do not have a picture of is the Kodiak baseball field.  It is named Coon Field.  It's after a person, and has been named that way since the 70's.  Honestly, I don't think I need to go into why this makes the vast majority of people I know break out in hysterical laughter.  It's so....not politically correct.  If you can't figure it out from here, you got problems.

Main aisles in Walmart include canning and shoe care.  Canning is for the salmon I have learned (mom, you should stock up here for your jams - I have never seen so many canning supplies) and the shoe care is a byproduct of the military being here.

Fishing and hunting are the main tourist draws here in the summer, so hotels have such wonderful features as "Large freezers!" and "Places to clean your catch!" and "Near Kodiak Taxidermy!" To take your prizes home, you can go to the airport where they will pack and freeze it for you in ready-to-fly packaging.  Now, this is obviously smart business practice by catering to your customers.  But I still laugh when I pick up a hotel brochure and its the biggest selling feature they have.  I would personally want a private balcony with a hot tub, but what do I know?

Store here don't really sell ice.  I guess you just shovel snow for all your cooling needs.  That's what we did at a party - put all the beer in the snow.  Worked wonderfully too.  I recommend it.  But it did actually freeze the beer.  So that was a minor inconvenience.

Finally, the cold weather and lack of sun is clearly having an affect...
...Or maybe I went back to Florida?  Whatever these people are smoking, I want some.  Because it gives you some serious dreams.

3 comments:

  1. I was the score keeper on an all mans bowling team (I'm old, there wasn't computer scoring then). You don't know how many times the guys showed up in sweat pants and "Kodiak sneakers". I miss those days and that sight! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely gives the whole island a very "I'm home and here, no one cares" vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at the picture with the little girl and the bottle of wine that is just about as big as she is! Since it's common practice to use the snow to refrigerate alcohol, maybe her parents told her to go out and fetch the wine!

    ReplyDelete