Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas!

or, whatever other holiday you celebrate.  They are all pretty awesome.

For me though, Christmas the only time of year my family ever came together under the same roof.  Which, looking back at it with older eyes, was probably for the best.  I'm used to mom or dad (or even me) having to work that day, so I understand life goes on and the world does not stop.  I just need to ask my parents about that.  Dad's a firefighter, mom's in healthcare.  But this is the first time I will be half a world away.

And I'm ok with that.  The man is with his family in Minnesota. And my family will meet, just as they always have, and eat dinner with a turkey and a ham since my cousins don't eat turkey, two kinds of dressing ("stuffing" for you all not from the south), turnip greens, pepper vinegar, and ambrosia.  I've left out about 20 different dishes we always have even though there's only 12 of us, maybe 16 if my out-of-state cousin comes home.

My watch section is off, so that means I get to cook dinner for a few of us random people that had no other plans.  We get to decide what Christmas in Kodiak looks like to us, and that's pretty cool.  Apparently it looks like ham, mashed potatoes, peas, pies, and whiskey.  Sounds like a good plan to me!  Especially the whiskey the part.  Keep ya warm you know?

Even the rest of Kodiak is getting in the holiday mood.  Some fishing boats are back and there's fresh crab for sale.  There's a couple of guys carving wood sculptures outside.  Lights are everywhere, even on base.  Best of all, it looks like I may just be lucky enough to get my first white Christmas!  It snowed a bit today, and is supposed to snow tomorrow.  That alone makes it all worth it.  But with that being said, dear Kodiak, if you put me though all this crap so far and I don't get snow tomorrow out of this, I will be very, very, unhappy.

So, to all, enjoy the day where ever you are, with whom ever you are with. Remember not all of us are lucky enough to be with our loved ones, but be assured that those of us in the military, the fire service, the police service, or health care are making a sacrifice we chose to make. One we made so you could be safe from tragedy not just today but everyday.  And we will be with our second family, a family bound not by simply by blood but by oath, courage, and commitment.  It is the greatest gift we have to give, besides surrendering our life for yours. It is one that we give freely - even though it can take a toll on those we are parted from.  So do not waste such a gift my friends.  Celebrate it. 

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist....he lives, and he lives forever" - in us.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas Amanda!! You will be missed much today. Beautiful words in your blog. Thanks for sharing. We will have a toast (or two) to you today.

    ReplyDelete