Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Recap


I am happy to report I had my first white Christmas!  Not only that but the sun was shining, something one does not take for granted on Kodiak.  All in all it was a good day all around.  Since I am currently working nights, I had to wake up early (noon for me - hey when you go to bed at 7 or 8am, that's early) to cook for everyone since they all work normal people schedules.
 
Christmas dinner was held at a friend's house.  A house that is shared by 3 single men.  3 single men in Kodiak.  This was bachelor pad to the extreme.
 
I should have known dinner would be a challenge when I walked into the kitchen and was met by a beer pyramid.  Yes, a pyramid built out of full case of Miller Lite and Corona Extra.  My second clue was the magazine that went into some unseen assault rifle.  Right.
 
We took an inventory of cooking utensils.  My oh my.  Was it ever limited.  How do these guys cook for themselves when all they have are a couple large skillets and a single 2 quart sauce pan?  I mean really?  Oh, that's would explain the beer pyramid and the frozen pizza in the freezer.  I was starting to wonder how this was going to get done, but it was Christmas.  Time for Christmas magic!
 
I had to prepare a few things, but there were no large bowls.  A cereal bowl does not a serving dish make. Time to make use of all that Coast Guard training.  I made green bean casserole in a cake pan, the only oven safe dish I could find that was not a sheet pan.  The 10 pound ham went in a one of those flimsy disposable roasting pans that the landlord had used to deliver cookies, placed on said sheet pan (we removed the cookies first, for the record).  The fruit salad got made in a Crockpot.  And the crockpot went in the fridge.  So, in case you are wondering, yes, your crockpot can keep hot dishes hot and cold dishes cold.  Must write them to let them know. And the mash potatoes got made in a large skillet.  Yes, a skillet.  4 pounds worth of potatoes too.  It actually turned into a stroke of luck, because it made mashing them fairly simple afterwards.
 
In the end, it all came out delicious.  And I will never forget having to "adapt and overcome" Christmas dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Now THAT was a military Christmas for sure! I'll guarantee it is one you will never forget and will wish you had more like it! :-) Great Job Coastie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It really was a great day. Couldn't have spent it with better people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you do your ham? I'm in North Carolina and when I do a ham I baste it in Coke or Pepsi with a bit of brown sugar..... awesome awesome awesome! :)


    Shelly - a coastie mom

    PS
    Happy New Years Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would normally have used Coke (my family being from Georgia and all, Coke is well, Coke) but I actually used ginger ale this time when it was in the oven. Every 20 minutes or so I basted the ham with the ginger ale bath it was in. When the ham was almost done, I took out all the ginger ale in the bottom, cut the ham off the bone, put the glaze on it, then returned it to the oven for 30 minutes. I think I will do this last step from now on. Having that yummy sugary stuff on ever bite was soooo much better than just having it on the outside! I used the packet that came with it, added some deli-style mustard, brown sugar, cinnamon and that was it. Everyone loved it :)

    ReplyDelete