Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My first 10 weeks, part 2 – snow gear


So a week or so after I got here, we got the first frost of the year.  And needless to say I was totally unprepared.  After thawing out my car by just turning it on and letting it run, I got to work.  And I explained to those around me that HOLY COW ITS FROSTY OUT THERE OH MY GOD WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO WHAT DO I DO?!!?!?  After the laughter stopped, we decided I needed 3 things:
1: An ice scrapper.  Not a little one, but a big one. 
2: Get the windshield wiper fluid that defrosts your windows.
3: Waterproof shoes.  Because my Florida tennis shoes that were mess on top were not going to cut it.

With my list, I go out into town.  I first stop at the sporting goods store.  I had been in there before, and I knew they had shoes.  So after trying on a few pairs, I settle on a nice pair of hiking boots.  Because, well, I want to go hiking too.  So I get some that are sturdy, cover my ankle, and are waterproof.  I am set to go.  Until she asks me, “Are you sure you don’t want to try these on with wool socks to make sure they fit right?”

Wool socks?  No one mentioned wool socks

“….*blank stare* No one told you about wool socks?  Cotton just won’t do up here.  Those are no good in winter.  Here, try these.”

Um, ok.  A $16 pair of socks.  I’m convinced she’s  just trying to get me to buy more but I comply anyway because I already feel stupid.  So, $120 later, I am on my way to the auto store in search for my other two items.

When I walk in, I ask the lady where I can find ice scrappers and windshield wiping fluid.  She says that they don’t have them out, it’s too early in the year.  But there have already been morning with frost, so I am convinced this lady is crazy.  I NEED this stuff, why couldn’t she see that?  Fortunately, the have what I need, just not on display.  Someone offers to get one for me.  They ask what size ice scrapper I need.  “One of the big ones with the brush on the end for snow,” I say, confident in my answer.  That’s what I had been told to ask for, so I know its going to get me what I need. 

Now, before I explain this last bit, let me first tell you my experience with ice scrappers.  My mother had one from one year her car got covered in frost and some passerby took pity on her and gave her one.  It is smaller than my dad’s iPhone , but I’ve grown up seeing it and I think this is a normal size.  I’m thinking a big one is maybe 8 inches long.  Enough for the handle in-between.  Imagine my surprise when the stock guy pulls out this 24 inch long thing with a broom on one end.  “This is the small size, but you don’t want this.  Hold on, I’ll get a bigger one.”

What.The.Hell.

“Here, this is the medium size one.  Its maybe 30 inches long, but we have one that’s 36 inches and has a telescoping handle!”  Um, yeah, my car isn’t that big.  I think the medium one will be just fine. “Are you sure?” Yep.  I grab this….broom thing and some anti-frost windshield stuff and hit the checkout.  The lady is pleased I have found what I have asked about.  This stop is much cheaper, only about $20.  I go to leave, but then I turn around, remembering I don’t know how to use said broom thing.  The lady laughs at me (I’ve gotten used to it at this point) and she explains I use the brush to sweep the snow away and the other end to scrape the ice.  I am still dumbfounded.  But the lady says that people here are friendly and will notice that I am clueless and will help me figure it all out when it snows.  Feeling confident in my new found snow gear, I leave the store and head back to base.  I just knew that with these three things, I could handle anything Kodiak threw at me.  I was ready.

I thought.