Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mom's visit, part 2

So, after we got saved by two random guys, I told mom we owed the karma gods. We saw a lot of cars stuck that day, for the record, but almost everyone was well on their way to freedom.  Except for this one guy one the way home from dinner.  We just walked across the street to Henry's (one of 5 restaurants in all of Kodiak), and on our way back we could hear this guy most definitely stuck in the ice.  I open my car, grab my new shovel, some ice melt, and get to work.  Hey, I've gotten stuck twice now, I know what to do!  After a bit of shoveling, a bit of sprinkling, and a little pushing later, voila!  The car was free.  The karma gods had been repaid.

Honestly though, I wish they had remembered that when everything just iced over and stayed that way for the rest of the week.  Because then we got the joy of moving me into my new place (YAY!) on the ice.  Which sucks because you have to talk down a hill to get to my door.  My poor mom. At least she stayed upright.  I told her we just needed a sled then we could slide the stuff down.  I thought it was a great idea personally.  She vetoed it, but I think she just didn't want to be stuck on top of Ice Mountain all by herself.

Ice Mountain is the new name I have given the hill I live on.  It fits.  It's been above freezing for almost two weeks and Ice Mountain is the only thing still frozen solid.  Yeah, try getting out of a car onto that.  It's unfun.

The movers came on Friday and I was so excited to have my bed and all the rest of my stuff back!  It's been around 18 months, which is a long time to have not slept on your own bed.  But the best part of the whole day was when the moving truck got stuck on the ice.  No snow shovel in the world or amount of ice melt was going to save them.  Ooops.  I felt bad for laughing, but I felt much better about getting stuck in the snow!

Sunday I had to put my mom back on a plane.  I really hated that part.  I feel like half my life is putting loved ones on planes and saying goodbye.  If there was one thing I could change about military life, that would be it.

But this time it was almost worth it.  Because watching my mom live through an Alaska winter, even if it was only a week, was priceless.  Now I know how looked to everyone else here.  "Look LOOK!  The mail truck has snow chains!  I've never seen snow chains!"  "Is that a snow plow?"  Yes mom.  "Oh that's so cool!  I've never seen a snow plow."  Yep, everyone should witness this at least once.

Included are some pictures from that week. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment